The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
Trinity Bridge, Crowland

Trinity Bridge, Crowland


A topographical carte-de-visite showing the Trinity Bridge (sometimes called the Tripple or Triple Bridge) at Crowland in Lincolnshire.

The bridge has three stairways that converge at the top. Originally it spanned the River Welland and a tributary that flowed through the town, although now the rivers have been re-routed and no longer flow anywhere near the bridge. The bridge is an unusual and economical solution to the crossing of two watercourses at their confluence, reducing the need for three separate bridges to a single structure with three abutments.

The current bridge dates to the 14th century (built between 1360 and 1390) and replaced previous wooden bridges. The bridge is predominantly built from Barnack stone, which was quarried about 16 km to the west of Crowland, and presumably transported by boat on the Welland.

Photographer unidentified [reverse is blank].

 

Code: 124892
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018