The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
The Surrey Chapel

The Surrey Chapel


An albumen print view of the Surrey Chapel, an independent chapel on the Blackfriars Road in Southwark. Built in 1783 by the Revd Rowland Hill, it was originally a Congregational Church. In 1876 the Congregationalists built and moved to a new building, Christ Church, in the Westminster Bridge Road. The old round church's lease was taken over by Primitive Methodists, who had to move when the lease expired and the building was closed, later to be re-opened as an iron-monger's store.

Photographer unidentified.
 

Code: 124914
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018