The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
The Strand

The Strand


One half of a stereoview taken looking along The Strand towards the east. According to a small printed paper label pasted to the reverse of the mount, the photograph was 'Taken from Hungerford Market'.

Established around 1680, the market continued until 1862, when the land on which it stood was acquired by the South Eastern Railway, who opened Charing Cross Station on the site two years later.

Photographer unidentified.
 

Code: 124931
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018