The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
The Strand

The Strand


A view showing the eastern end of the Strand during the 1880s. At the centre of the image stands St. Mary-le-Strand, designed by James Gibb and completed in 1717. On the right, Somerset House may clearly be seen, built in Neo-Classical style by Sir William Chambers between 1776 and 1796. The buildings either side of it are still largely unchanged above street level. The buildings on the left side of the street, however, and long gone, replaced by the present Aldwych at the beginning of the 20th century.

Photographed by the London Stereoscopic Company.
 

Code: 124646
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018