The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
The Eleanor Cross

The Eleanor Cross


One half of a stereoview showing the Eleanor Cross in front of the Charing Cross Hotel.

With an ornate frontage in the French Renaissance style, the Charing Cross Hotel was designed by Edward Middleton Barry and opened on 15 May 1865. Barry also designed the replica of the Eleanor Cross that was erected in the station forecourt. Carved in Red Mansfield stone, it was based on the original 13th century Whitehall Cross that had been demolished in 1647.

Photographed by Frederick York of London.


 

Code: 124932
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018