The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
The Crystal Palace at Sydenham

The Crystal Palace at Sydenham


A cabinet card showing a view of the Crystal Palace, its terraces and fountains. Originally built to house the Great Exhibition of 1851, the enormous structure was later relocated to Sydenham in Kent, where it reopened to the public in 1854. It was destroyed by fire in 1936.

Photographed by Negretti and Zambra, who held 'the sole right of Photography in the Crystal Palace and Grounds', according to the publicity incorporated in the design of their backplate.
 

Code: 124883
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018