The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
The Crimean War Memorial in Waterloo Place

The Crimean War Memorial in Waterloo Place


One half of a stereoview showing the Crimean War Memorial in Waterloo Place. Unveiled in 1861, it originally consisted of the statues of three Guards Men, with a female allegorical figure referred to as Honour. It was cast in bronze from the cannons captured at the siege of Sevastopol. The sculptor was John Bell. In 1914 it was moved slightly further up the street to make way for the statues of Florence Nightingale and Sidney Herbert which stand in front of it today.

Photographer unidentified.


 

Code: 124920
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018