The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

Temple Bar, London

Temple Bar, London

A topographical carte-de-visite showing a view of Temple Bar, the principal ceremonial entrance to the City of London on its border with the City of Westminster.

Designed by Christopher Wren and built in 1692, the arch stood between Fleet Street and the Strand for nearly 200 years. In 1878 it was taken down and rebuilt as a folly in Theobald’s Park, Hertfordshire. One hundred years later it had fallen into a state of disrepair so a trust was formed to save the monument and move it back to the City. The project was completed in 2004 and the fully restored arch now stands in Paternoster Square next to St Paul's Cathedral.

Photographer unidentified.

A printed paper label pasted to the reverse of the mount identifies the original stockist as Edgar Lincoln, a 'photograph dealer' of 239 High Holborn, London.


Code: 126106
  Back           Home Contact   
© Paul Frecker 2018