The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
St John's Chapel in the Tower of London

St John's Chapel in the Tower of London


A topographical carte-de-visite showing St John's Chapel in the Tower of London.

The romanesque chapel is located on the second floor of the White Tower, which was built towards the end of the 11th century. Thick, round piers support unmoulded arches, notable for their simplicity, with simple carvings of scallop and leaf designs providing the only decoration.

Photographed by J. Davis Burton of London.

James Davis Burton appears on the 1871 census living at 2 Elderfield Road in Hackney with his wife Sarah and their four daughters.
 

Code: 126105
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018