The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
Sheepshanks Gallery at the V&A

Sheepshanks Gallery at the V&A


A carte-de-visite showing a view of the Sheepshanks Gallery at the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington.

The gallery was named after John Sheepshanks (1787–1863), a wealthy cloth manufacturer who, in 1857, founded the museum's paintings collection with a gift of 233 paintings and a similar number of drawings. The first of his galleries was opened in 1857 and is the earliest surviving part of the V&A. The building was extended with further top-lit galleries between 1858 and 1865.

Photographed in 1868 by James Davis Burton of London.


 

Code: 126349
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018