The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
Rhyl Pier

Rhyl Pier


A topographical carte-de-visite showing the entrance to Rhyl Pier, looking back towards the shore. The Belvoir Hotel can be clearly seen in the distance. Built as a family hotel in 1840 by Robert Jones, it later became the Pier Hotel, and then a nurses' home. It closed in 1980 and was demolished shortly afterwards. The pier was removed in 1972.

An inked inscription verso in a period hand identifies the location and gives the date, 16 September 1867.

Photographer unidentified.
 

Code: 124863
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018