The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

Knight Brothers Bank in Farnham

Knight Brothers Bank in Farnham

A carte-de-visite view of Knight Brothers Bank on Castle Street in Farnham, Surrey. Designed by the renowned architect Richard Norman Shaw (1831-1912), the four-floored timber-framed building was completed in 1868. It was demolished and replaced by the present Lloyds Bank in 1932. The chimneys were re-erected by Harold Falkner on the Bush Hotel and the Bailiffs Hall.

The Knight family of Farnham were hop farmers, brewers and bankers. The brothers John and James Knight established a bank in Farnham as early as the 1830s. It was known originally as Knights Brothers Bank, later as James Knight and Sons and finally as Knight, Jenner and Co.

Photographed by Hoare of Farnham, identified by his blindstamp recto in the lower margin.


Code: 124832
  Back           Home Contact   
© Paul Frecker 2018