The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

Holborn Viaduct

Holborn Viaduct

An albumen print view of Holborn Viaduct.

Built between 1863 and 1869, at a cost of over £2 million, it was the first flyover in central London. City surveyor William Haywood was the architect and the engineer was Rowland Mason Ordish. The viaduct was opened by Queen Victoria at the same time as Blackfriars Bridge.

Four statues on the parapets represent commerce and agriculture on the south side, both by sculptor Henry Bursill, and science and fine art on the north side, by the sculpture firm Farmer & Brindley. Staircases provide pedestrian access from the bridge to Farringdon Street below.

Photographer unidentified.

Code: 124918
  Back           Home Contact   
© Paul Frecker 2018