The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
George Square, Glasgow

George Square, Glasgow


A topographical carte-de-visite showing a view of George Square in Glasgow. Laid out in 1781, it was named after King George III. It is the principal civic square in the city.

The 80-foot-high Doric column at the centre of the square is topped by a statue of Sir Walter Scot. Erected in 1837, it was the first of the many memorials dedicated to the author. It is flanked by equestrian statues of Prince Albert and a youthful Queen Victoria.

Photographed by George Washington Wilson of Aberdeen.


 

Code: 126101
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018