The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

Crimean War Memorial

Crimean War Memorial, Waterloo Place

One half of a stereoview showing the Crimean War Memorial in Waterloo Place. Unveiled in 1861, it originally consisted of the statues of three Guards Men, with a female allegorical figure referred to as Honour. Sculpted by John Bell, it was cast in bronze from the cannons captured at the siege of Sebastopol.

In 1914 the entire monument was moved 30 feet further up the street to make room for the statues of Florence Nightingale and Sidney Herbert which stand in front of it today.

Photographer unidentified.


Code: 126280
  Back           Home Contact   
© Paul Frecker 2018