The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
Clifton Suspension Bridge

Clifton Suspension Bridge


A topographical carte-de-visite showing a view of Clifton Suspension Bridge, as seen from Ashton Meadow, according to a caption printed recto in the margin.

Spanning the Avon Gorge and the River Avon, the bridge links Clifton in Bristol to Leigh Woods in North Somerset. The bridge was built to a design by William Henry Barlow and John Hawkshaw, based on an earlier design by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Since opening in 1864, it has been a toll bridge. The income from the tolls continues to provide funds for its maintenance.

Photographed by Francis Bedford.
 

Code: 126092
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018