The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
Castlegate, Aberdeen

Castlegate, Aberdeen


A caption printed in the margin identifies the location as 'Castle Street and Municipal Buildings, Aberdeen'. In fact, the photograph was taken from the Mercat Cross looking west across the area now known as Castlegate towards Union Street. The Scottish baronial building at the centre of the composition is the Courts of Justice. The statue looking up Union Street is of George Gordon, 5th Duke of Gordon; erected in 1844, it was relocated to Golden Square in the 1950s.

A line of hansom cabs are lined up in the background, while in the foreground near the centre of the lower edge there's a man on crutches who appears to be an amputee.

Photographed by George Washington Wilson of Aberdeen.
 

Code: 126025
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018