The Library of Nineteenth-Century Photography

 
 
 
Accidental poisoning

Accidental poisoning


According to a small newspaper clipping pasted to the back of the mount, this is Mr Thomas Farmer, a grocer of Chatham in Kent. He was 'late on Saturday night seized with violent pains, and upon some members of his family going to his assistance it was discovered that he had in mistake taken a quantity of ammonia instead of cough mixture. He died soon afterwards.' An inked inscription dates the clipping to 22 April 1884.

Born in 1829, Thomas James Farmer appears on the 1881 census living with his wife Ann and two of their daughters at 231 Chatham High Street. For his profession, he gave 'Grocer employing 3 hands'.

Photographed by Jacques Moll of Chatham.
 

Code: 125038
 
  Back           Home Contact   
           Search
© Paul Frecker 2018